Saturday, November 29, 2014

Meet.................Elder Stevens/文長老!

Hello Everyone!

For the first part of this week, not much happened because Elder Efros had tons of people who wanted to say good bye to him. Instead of just having a big bye-bye/picture-taking session Sunday night, we had one on Wednesday after English class and on Thursday after Book of Mormon class as well. That was a hoot:) Elder Efros and I split ways early Friday morning when I took the 6:51 train up to Taizhong to meet my next companion. Elder Efros went up to Yuanlin which is a little south of Taizhong. He and his companion are white-washing which will be fun for them and his companion goes home in a month so he has to learn the area pretty fast. That'll be a good challenge for him! 




So about my new companion, Elder Stevens. That's him on my right. To my left, we have Elder Dawson and his trainee whose name slips my mind at the moment. We'll be in the same zone for the next few months. That'll be fun! He was in the MTC with me and we got to be pretty good friends.


So as you can see, he's super tall and 帥. He's from Ohio. So I've only had 2 companions from Utah so far! Wooo. I think that's a record. He's pretty well rounded. He's smart, talented in music as well as athletics, he loves Celtic music(shout-out to the late Elder Gish), and he's just a pleasure to be around. He's already got some field-experience under his belt because his Visa was delayed. He spent 2 months in Layton, UT. Much different from Taiwan, but it's made it easier for him to just kind of jump into things here. Also, last but not least, his Chinese is off the wall good! He's really modest and self-critical about it, but it's way better than mine was when I got here. His tones are surprisingly accurate. He can't understand what people are saying very well yet, but that comes with time. He keeps getting down on himself and I just have to remind him he's only been here for 2 and a half days. On Saturday, he also took the lead in committing one of our investigators to baptism. It's Brother Wu. He's 17 and plays rugby. He's super cool. Unlike most Taiwanese kids, he's really good at analyzing literature and applying it to his life so hearing him talk about his experiences in the Book of Mormon is always super inspiring. He accepted a goal for the 25th of December, but then said his parents want him to wait a little longer until he's thought it over clearly. I respect their decision. I'm hoping we can find a time this week to talk to them about it. He really is a super awesome kid! All the Young men love him. I can see him becoming a really solid member. 
   We also really hopeful for Phoebe, Brother Su, and Brother Lu to make some good progress in the next few weeks and maybe even see someone be baptized in December. That's what we're going for:)
   Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Our ward is having a feast this Saturday, so maybe I'll get some real turkey this year and not just the bowl of turkey rice I had last year! Below is our turkey we drew for the ward FHE activity covered in gratitude hand feathers. So lush! Look at all that gratitude!  


-Elder Smith

P.S. This week's song is "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief." Despite what I say in the intro, it actually ended up sounding real good if I do say so myself. Enjoy. And because I didn't sing all the verses and the lyrics are so fantastic, here are the lyrics:

1. A poor, wayfaring Man of grief
Hath often crossed me on my way,
Who sued so humbly for relief
That I could never answer nay.
I had not pow'r to ask his name,
Whereto he went, or whence he came;
Yet there was something in his eye
That won my love; I knew not why.

2. Once, when my scanty meal was spread,
He entered; not a word he spake,
Just perishing for want of bread.
I gave him all; he blessed it, brake,
And ate, but gave me part again.
Mine was an angel's portion then,
For while I fed with eager haste,
The crust was manna to my taste.

3. I spied him where a fountain burst
Clear from the rock; his strength was gone.
The heedless water mocked his thirst;
He heard it, saw it hurrying on.
I ran and raised the suff'rer up;
Thrice from the stream he drained my cup,
Dipped and returned it running o'er;
I drank and never thirsted more.

4. 'Twas night; the floods were out; it blew
A winter hurricane aloof.
I heard his voice abroad and flew
To bid him welcome to my roof.
I warmed and clothed and cheered my guest
And laid him on my couch to rest,
Then made the earth my bed and seemed
In Eden's garden while I dreamed.

5. Stript, wounded, beaten nigh to death,
I found him by the highway side.
I roused his pulse, brought back his breath,
Revived his spirit, and supplied
Wine, oil, refreshment—he was healed.
I had myself a wound concealed,
But from that hour forgot the smart,
And peace bound up my broken heart.

6. In pris'n I saw him next, condemned
To meet a traitor's doom at morn.
The tide of lying tongues I stemmed,
And honored him 'mid shame and scorn.
My friendship's utmost zeal to try,
He asked if I for him would die.
The flesh was weak; my blood ran chill,
But my free spirit cried, "I will!"

7. Then in a moment to my view
The stranger started from disguise.
The tokens in his hands I knew;
The Savior stood before mine eyes.
He spake, and my poor name he named,
"Of me thou hast not been ashamed.
These deeds shall thy memorial be;
Fear not, thou didst them unto me."

Remember the Savior. We have so much to thank him for. Let's pass it forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment