Monday, September 29, 2014

Week Fifty-Four: 9/23/2014 to 9/29/2014--Rock. Paper. Scissors.

Hello Everyone! 

The list of people I send these to is getting pretty long as I add all my missionary friends along the way. I hope no one is getting sick of them because I'm sure not! But seriously, this week was pretty nuts. Probably the most stressful week of my mission. I went on exchanges not once but twice, I told tall tales and translated until my voice sounded like John Lennon's on Twist and Shout, I said good-bye to Elder Zhao, I had a lot of funny things said to me, but most of all, I grew a ton and I'm stoked for this next movecall with Elder...(drum roll, please)....Efros!! He's a good guy. He's from California, but he lives in Arizona. It's complicated. Suffice it to say, he has a very interesting background and he's experienced many different cultures and ideas. I think it's going to be a big asset in our companionship. Here he is:





So first, the exchanges. Elder Nin(my district leader from New Zealand) took me over to his area on Tuesday so that was fun. I got to see what West Tainan is like. It was pretty much the same as North Tainan, but there were some things that spiced it up like cucumber ice cream, and lots of bridges, and an investigator with a camaro. What I really noticed about him is that he is in love with being a missionary. I like being a missionary a lot. It's one of my favorite things, but he inspires me to like it even more! Elder Surdu(the Zone leader I'm pretty tight with) came over to North Tainan with me and we had a blast. He gave me a lot of good advice and he's one of my favorite people. He served in Yongkang while I was there in the other ward. I can't really describe him. You'll just have to meet him someday. But he's hilarious. 

Second, the English party(which included tall tales). So basically, we did a Wild West theme. I don't know if anyone saw the picture I posted on Facebook. It was super fun. There were lots of games going on including a stick pull, Monopoly deal, spoons, rubber-band shooting range, and a donggua cha(wintermelon tea) bar. In the center of the room, however, we were just telling tall tales the whole time and they were HILARIOUS! At the end of it, we played "Come Thou Fount" together(recording attached) and shared the Joseph Smith story. It went really well and Elder Zhao discovered a cowboy accent he didn't even know he had. Great growth, indeed. :)

Speaking of Elder Zhao, he's gone. :( He's about an hour drive north of here in a place called Xinying. He'll do great! I'm grateful for the time I had with him and I learned a lot. This last transfer wasn't the most easy-going transfer I've ever had, but it was certainly the most fulfilling transfer of my mission. I've loved being Elder Zhao's companion! 

Last, two great things that people said to me. First, from an LA we're working with. He asked me, "If you faced God in rock, paper, scissors, do you think you could win?" to which I replied, "I don't think so. I mean, he knows everything." Then he said something that blew my mind. He said, "Yeah you could. Just pray and tell him you want to win." Think about that for a sec. I don't know. I thought it was really cool. His faith is so simple. He just needs to come to church:(. The other thing was said by the Bishop's daughter. She asked me, "Have you been lying to people?" to which I replied,"No way! I'm a missionary!" to which she said,"then why is your nose so long?" If you don't get it, please see your nearest Asian's nose, then see your nearest American's nose. Yep. I died laughing and it was in the middle of Sacrament meeting. Oops. 

All in all, I'm loving it out here! I'm developing close relationships with the members, and we're slowly but surely helping our brothers and sisters to come unto Christ. Pray for them, pray for me! Until next week...

-Elder Smith

P.S. In case you didn't see it: 




​Yes, that is a random bamboo stick we found in our apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment