Sunday, September 28, 2014

Week Fifty-Three: 9/16/2014 to 9/22/2014--Sick Again, but this week was pretty sweet, so that's ok:)

Greetings, everyone back on the homefront!

There were some pretty cool things that happened this week, and also some things that were not so cool. I also got an unprecedented amount of world news from members this last week. I found out Scotland almost declared independence from England(that was hilarious) and there's this really crazy new terrorist group named ISIS. No more of that, please. I'm safe in Taiwan. I'll worry about all that when I get back to the states(yikes!). 

 I made scones from the Trader Joes mix my mom sent. They were pretty tasty.
We taught Bro Tang on Tuesday about reading and praying and how he can get into that habit. He says the problem(which is a problem for pretty much everyone) is that when he meets with us he feels really good and he has all this determination to live the principles we teach him, but when he gets home, it's like he wakes up and he's back in his regular habits. It's a dilemma. Pray for him! He'll be in Japan this week, so we won't be able to contact him except on facebook. Bro Su is pretty good! We met with him last Friday and helped him understand better about priesthood authority. His main concern is that he's been going to another Christian church for quite a while now and the minister there put him in charge of driving a few other members to church every week. He said this last week he was going to go drop them off there, then come to our church, but then our church was cancelled(there was a semi-Typhoon that came in this weekend, so they cancelled. It reminded me a lot of Seattle when we get an inch or two of snow) and he didn't answer his phone, so I'm not sure what happened there. Another investigator we've got high hopes for is Phoebe. This week's lesson was kind of the same as last week's(long and unfocused, and informational). I was also sick this week, so I was having a really hard time focusing. In future we'll meetings, we'll definitely focus the lesson a lot more. 

Speaking of focusing lessons and focusing on our purpose, we had Zone Conference this last Thursday! It was awesome. I got to see Elder Colvin(my MTC companion), Elder Ward(my first companion in Penghu), Elder Sumsion(my trainer), and some other people I hadn't seen in a long time. Most importantly, however, I got to receive inspired training and teachings from President Blickenstaff and others he had assigned. The topic was our purpose. If you'd like details, I'd be glad to tell you, but for sake of time, I'll just say the main thing I took away from it. This work is the Lord's work. As it says in 2 Nephi, He can do his own work. Sometimes as a missionary, you tend to think it's your work and you're asking Heavenly Father to help you with it, but it's not that way at all. It's His work and our role in it is simply that of a tool. That is both humbling and empowering, knowing that all I have to do is become someone whom The Lord can depend on and He will bless me and those around me. 

Well, that's all, folks. Next week is transfers, so who knows what will happen there. They're still having problems with the visas for new missionaries so I'm not sure how that's going to work out. I was hoping to be able to train this next transfer, but that's not looking to likely at the moment. Love you guys! I hope you have weeks full of un-cancelled church and un-Typhoons. 

Sincerely,

Elder Smith

P.S. This week's song is "An Angel From on High."

No comments:

Post a Comment