Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Week 5 Family Letter: Dear Mom 9/21/2013

September 21, 2013

Hey Mom :)

I'm glad you guys got a kick out of the mattress story!  It wasn't super funny when it was happening. :)

That sounds great about Sophie's curriculum night.  I don't even want to imagine what a "jumpsuit without the proper undergarments" would look like, which is why I'm not planning on asking for the offender's gender.  The Darbus teacher sounds much better.  I hope she had all the shawls and bangles needed to be compared to Miss Darbus :) .

Wow, I can't believe Damon's room is clean!  Were you making reference to the fact that I never had a clean room when I lived there, or to the fact that Damon's room is seldom tidy?  Also, how's the band room coming?  Is Dad having a lot of fun?

Sitting on the grass at the Provo temple on P-day.


That's too bad Lucy's so quick to judge with preschool.  I'm sure she'll grow to love it.  And I bet having that time to yourself is utter bliss!

With the mental health issues, I hope you don't think you're unstable. ;)  I'm glad what you are doing is helping you, though.  I hope you don't get to the exploding point very often.  But I get that.

I'm coming to realize that I'm much the same way.  I used to think that I just let things go and they didn't really matter.  Now that I'm in this kind of stressful situation, spending 14+ hours a day with people that I know just well enough for them to get on my nerves, I'm realizing that I really do hold on to things and that some things really do bother me a lot.  It used to be easy for me to just walk away and forget about it, but when there's tension between you and another member of your district or worse yet, your companion, you can't just walk away.  That conflict is ever-present and unless you deal with it adequately, it will just eat away at your desire to do anything and drive away the Spirit.

For example, recently, my roommates thought it would be pretty funny, whenever any of us is locked out and knocking on the door, to say "Who's your daddy?" and of course, wait for the victim to spout, "You are" before they open the door, which is apparently some HUGE wound to your pride.  I was the first victim.  I didn't realize that it was such a big deal, so I was all "Yeah, you are," just so I could get in.  And they made a huge hullabaloo about it the next day.  Told the whole district more than once.  I laughed that off.  

Fast forward to a couple days ago.  The same Elder decides to do it again to someone besides me.  I played along for a minute or so because, I'll admit, it was pretty amusing, but this Elder was just milking it for all it was worth, so I finally said, "Ok, that's enough," and kind of boxed him out and opened the door.  I think the Elder who was leading the shenanigans got a little embarrassed over that, so when I went to brush my teeth, I brought my key but he knew that I did, so he moved the bed in front of the door!  What a goon!  Finally, they opened the door, but I was super mad.  I'm not usually that angry or frustrated, so it was a really strange experience for me.  They could tell I was put out by it, but rather than apologize for what they did, they resorted to the old stand-by, "Stop being such a baby!"  

One scripture: 1 Corinthians 13:11.  Boom.  Donezo.  I was so seething mad!  It was so ridiculous how upset I was.  I don't even know why!  Most of it was probably because I was embarrassed, part of it was the fact that they felt no sympathy, no need to apologize.  The most overwhelming thing was this sense of stupidity with the whole situation.  This was so dumb!  And here I was fuming in my bed.  And the fact that I was so angry about something so stupid made me even more mad.  I was spiraling into fury!  I went to bed that night with a sour taste in my mouth.

View of the Provo temple.

I don't feel as mad about it any more, even though the Elder that did it felt inclined to tell the story not once, but twice yesterday.  I do still have some feelings of resentment toward him, though.  He's just a very difficult person for me to deal with.  He's really outgoing and nice, but if he has an opinion, he cannot be reasoned with.  If there's even a hope of a supporting argument for his claim, it's a lost cause to try to reason with him.  He just has this overbearing "I'm always right" quality that clashes with my personality quite starkly, because I'm pretty open to at least listen.  I mean, I have strong opinions, but I feel like in a discussion, I'm pretty good about at least seeing the other person's opinion as valid if they really care about it.  Anyway, I'm ranting now.  Sorry.  But yeah, he's a tough cookie.  In any case, I'll try to do a better job of helping myself emotionally and seeking help from others.

Haha! I'm glad Jake knows my pain with my haircut.  Seriously though.  I told her I wanted it as short as possible on the sides because I wanted it to have time to grow out, but at one point she asked me if this was the length I wanted on the top and I said yes.  She then proceeded to go 2 more rounds of trimming.  Then, at the end, she had the gall to say, "You know, when you first came in, I was thinking you'd want to keep your long hair, but now that WE cut it short, it looks really good."  I'm sorry, lady, but there was no "we" in that haircut.  I think the main issue with leaving the top longer is that you are aren't supposed to have a huge contrast between the top and the sides, but she definitely should have just told me that instead of chopping off everything without warning me.  Ugh.  At least I won't need to get another one before I leave.

A reminder of how Brendan looked after his shearing.


Thanks for the letter, Mom!  It was much appreciated.  I love all the tidbits you and dad tell me about life at home.  I love you guys so much and I miss you every day!

Love,

Brendan

P.S.  That's awesome that Damon's loving seminary.  I wonder if it's because of that gal he was "hanging out" with.

P.P.S.  Dad told me about Sawyer's food critic comment.  That is hilarious, and exactly what Sawyer would say. :)  Also, way to go in your letter with the two P's.  A couple of my friends have written me and written P.S.S.  Heathens! :)  It's post, post script not post, script script.

No comments:

Post a Comment