Sunday, August 10, 2014

Week Forty-Six: 7/28/2014 to 8/3/2014--Hello Goodbye

Hello, hello. I don't know why you say goodbye I say hello. 

Sometimes I feel like that when I contact people on the street. But whatever:).

Hello everyone!

This week has been really great. I'm excited to share about it! As far as big major news, Colin sent us a text that started with "Hey guys, I've been wanting to tell you this for a long time..." so you can probably guess what came after that. He's a great guy, but I don't think he's at a point in his life where he can clearly see how the gospel can help him. I think we also might have taught him too fast. Either way, it's been great teaching him and I hope he's able to find joy in whatever lifestyle he pursues--though I know the lifestyle that brings the MOST joy;). 

Also, please enjoy my tan lines. Aya!!

Alian(the Vietnamese lady) is getting baptized! Her husband finally agreed to let her do it! She's still working out a date because her friend has to work most days and it's out on the water so she can't usually get it off. But hopefully it will be before I leave(probably the 18th). I love teaching her. She just has such matter-of-fact, simple outlook on life. It's really inspiring. 

Harvey the Honglong(basically just a smaller watermelon)

Rod introduced us to one of his friends this week. I think I talked about her last week. Her name is Dora. She's pretty cool but she's REALLY quiet so it's pretty hard to determine how much of our message she's really understanding/taking in. Luckily Rod can give us the lowdown on how she felt about it later, but it would be super nice if she would voice her concerns/questions in the lesson. She's definitely got potential:).

On Sunday, it was Rod's birthday so we had a small get-together at the church. I made the mistake of telling him I knew how to make pizza, so he forced me to make pizza for everyone last night. The finished product is below. Because Rod is Taiwanese, he didn't really know what to get. I told him we needed cheese, tomato sauce, and yeast and I could figure out everything else. Tragically, tomato sauce and ketchup have the same word in Taiwanese so he got ketchup. As far as cheese goes, real cheese is pretty hard to find here. They really only have the plastic-y McDonald's style slice-by-slice stuff. So he brought that. So, I made the dough, we put a SUPER thin layer of ketchup over it(I was afraid it would be too strong), and I tore up the cheese plastic and put that over the top. We put it in the oven for 12 minutes at 500 degrees. I was expecting the worst. I looked in there at one point and the cheese had ballooned. I took it out and it looked like it had this really weird consistency. It turned out to be alright. Rod loved it so I guess that's all that matters. I also ate sea urchin and these small uncooked fish this week. That was fun. I actually love the food here! The fruit especially. Mangoes, Dragonfruit, Guava, Lychee, etc.. so good. 

The pizaaaaaah.

Anyways I hope everyone has a great week! Love you all. 

-Elder Smith





No comments:

Post a Comment