Monday, August 25, 2014

Week Forty-Nine: 8/18/2014 to 8/24/3014--Week One Back in the Promised Land

Hello my friends and family members!

   This has been the slowest, most focused, and most stressful week that I've had probably since I was being trained. Elder Washburn told me being a senior companion was about the same as being a junior companion, but either he was trying to comfort me or he had a much different experience than I did when he first became senior companion. Although, I think a big reason I feel like it's different is also because of how different Tainan is from Penghu. In Penghu, it's just us two covering the entire island. It's simple. Either they live in Penghu or they live outside of our area. Now, there are 8 missionaries in my district and we live in a 4-man apartment covering the same area and the same ward. It seems a bit crowded to me. And the ward is HUGE! There's like, 80-100 people that come every week. I was super nervous bearing my testimony to all of them. Anyway, this week was pretty hectic, but it'll only get better from here! I'm so excited for a great movecall with Elder Zhao.
   So yeah, let me just introduce to all of you this spectacle of a missionary. First, here's a picture of him in front of the Secret Sandwich Shop


He's from Michigan(as you can see from his shirt). He's a history fanatic and I have a mild passion for history and English and things like that, so we've had some interesting chats mostly about the history of Theology. He's a convert so he just has this really pure, sincere testimony that Christ is his Savior. He also spent the entire summer before he came on his mission just reading and studying scriptures so he's really, REALLY knowledgeable. I love being his companion. I feel super humbled that President Blickenstaff assigned me to be with him. I'm learning so much from him and despite his already fantastic language and teaching skills, I'm still able to give encouragement and advice from time to time. I'm seeing a fantastic move-call coming!
  It started the night I got here. We were calling through the list of names of the people he and his trainer had contacted. I called this one guy and he answered and said he was really busy lately. We talked for a minute and then, seemingly out of the blue he said "I have time right now. Do you guys have time right now?" Luckily, we did. So we met with him and we had one of the most smooth and inspiring lessons I've had on my entire mission. Elder Zhao's teaching skills are really good and the guy was so prepared. He's set to be baptized October 4th. I'm really excited for him!
   Other than that, we saw Kuha'o perform(this guy). That was a really cool experience. He really can play a song on the piano after only listening to it a couple times. When he played Taiwan's national anthem and when he played "I love to see the temple", those were really emotional moments for me. I loved it so much! I also got to see Elder Colvin(my MTC companion). I'll see him in a couple weeks at Zone Training Meeting as well, so that's fun:) I also saw a lot of the members from Yongkang which was nice. 
   That's about it! If you have any culture questions, let me know. Love you all.

-Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment