Sunday, August 2, 2015

Week Ninety-Eight: 7/7/2015 to 7/13/2015--Two Big Miracles and a Dying Elder Anderson

Hello everyone,

This week, we gained a lot of faith and confidence and we're pretty stoked about what the future holds. Also, there was supposed to be two typhoons that hit Taiwan at the same time and rock us, but they ended up changing directions so all we got were some mild winds and sprinkling. Not too shabby. Typhoons always slow us down. But they're super fun at the same time. It feels like a crazy adventure riding out there through the wind and rain:).

The first miracle happened while I was on exchanges with Elder Moore in Donghai. He's a super good guy and gave me lots of compliments on my guitar-playing/song-writing skills. I'll try not to let those go to my head:). But at night, just before we were about to go home, I saw a guy walking up ahead and I didn't realize he was white until I rode up next to him. I said hi and he was friendly(phew! Some white people in Taiwan are less than friendly to us. Elder Anderson even got a death threat once). His name is Louis and he's from Paris. He's a super cool guy and the craziest thing about this is that I met him last year--THE SAME GUY--when I was in Penghu. I can't believe that's coincidence. That's definitely divine intervention. Anyway, I got his facebook and his email so I'm hoping we can start teaching him and maybe I can even send Salmon a referral when he goes back to Paris in September.   

The second miracle was on Sunday. We had met with Roger on Saturday to teach him the Word of Wisdom(which he accepted), and he said he could come to church, but then when we called him on Sunday morning he said he had to go to baseball practice. We were so bummed because that would mean we'd have to push back his baptismal goal. But then, he showed up in the middle of sacrament meeting and said "I told them I'd be a little late. I wanted to see what sacrament meeting is like." MIRACLES!! He left right afterward to go to practice, but luckily, it rained, so he came back and attended a YSA activity at 1:30, then met with us at 3 to discuss the law of tithing and fasting. He accepted those as well and set up a baptismal interview for Wednesday. He's going to make it! And then in his closing prayer, he said "Before, I felt kind of skeptical, but now I'm filled with faith and I hope I can pass my interview on Wednesday and accomplish my plan to get baptized." When he said that I did a little mental fist pump. He's awesome and I'm excited for his baptism! I'm just said Elder Anderson won't get to see it. Hopefully he'll have time to skype in from bear lake. 

Besides that, there wasn't much else of note. I love all of you! Pray that Elder Anderson and I will have a super solid, uplifting week together as he finished his time here in Taiwan. And get ready to meet my new and probably last companion next week. 

-Elder Smith

P.S. I'll send the song a little bit later. It's going to be the star spangled banner, so get ready for some patriotism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment