Monday, March 31, 2014

Week Thirty-one: 3/24/2014-3/30/2014--First Week on the Island…Again

Hey Family and Friends!

This week has felt like my first week all over again, but kind of different. There's a lot to get used to, I'm even further removed from home, and my luggage took FOREVER to get here. I was riding on a bike without a pedal for a day and a half(I feel you, Dad!). 

I'm just going to jump right in. First off, all the investigators here are splendid. I don't know what Elder Fronk(the guy I replaced) and Elder Ward did, but all the investigators here just have the most pure intentions. It's really awesome to see. They all just want to come closer to Christ and what's even better is that they're all friends with the ward and with each other! The ones I want to talk about are Sister Zeng, Killy, Rod, and Brother Wang.

Sister Zeng is in her 20s and was just baptized two days ago and she's awesome! She grew up on an island on the outskirts of Penghu and her family was the only Christian family on the whole island. Her faith is super strong and I'm super stoked to see the great impact she'll have on the branch.

Elder Ward, Sister Zheng and Brendan right before Sister Zheng's baptism.

Killy is in his 20s and he's from mainland China. He's here for school and he's super awesome. Just the nicest guy you've ever met and he has super hilarious, good English. 

Rod is 15 and he's just the most pure, innocent kid you ever did see. He has such a big desire to follow Christ. He loves church, he loves all the people at church, but his family opposes him being baptized, so please pray for him!

Brother Wang is in his upper 20s and is set to be baptized next Saturday. He has a problem with his back so it looks like he's always bowing his head and he's really skinny. He's so hilarious though! He always says "ya know me?" When we were teaching the commandments, and said we had another one to teach, he was like "what? there's more? no coffee? no girls? what the?...oh ok!" and then he took the pamphlet. It was super hilarious. He's a great guy and he has such a strong testimony. I'm excited!

As far as Penghu the place goes, it's not super different from Yongkang. The main differences is that here's coastline everywhere and it's a lot smaller. Like, there's still high-rises and McDonald's and 7-11 and things like that. I'm not living in a hut or anything, but it does have a more rustic kind of feel. The people are a lot more laid-back, and we run into people that Elder Ward has contacted 2-3 times before almost every day. Oh also, the branch president births babies so basically everyone knows him. He's super awesome. Super old and wise. A really good mainland China accent to top it all off, and apparently he takes the missionaries out to dinner pretty regularly so I'm pretty stoked for that. 

I love you all! The work is doing well here! I hope your weeks are all going well. The church is true even on the most remote islands of the sea. It will change literally any one's life if they humble themselves and let it into their hearts. I have a strong testimony of that. 
   
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment