Sunday, March 29, 2015

Week Eighty-One: 3/9/2015 to 3/15/2015--Week Two in Mingjian: The Climb



Hello Everyone!

First of all, I've been getting some questions about what kind of crazy wildlife there is here in Mingjian. I think the scariest things I've seen so far have been banana spiders and wild ducks. Banana spiders are scary because they are huge, have yellow racing stripes, and if you get bit by one, you're sent home because the antidote only works once. The ducks are scary because, well...just look at them:



Some other fun things about Mingjian. We cover a ginormous area! And it's not like other areas where there's one central area where everybody flocks to get food and things and then everywhere else is super barren. There are about 5-6 cities of equal size spread out over our entire area so we're biking A LOT. The area farthest from us is about 2 hours by bike. The closest is about 40 minutes by bike. Luckily, the rides are BEAUTIFUL. So many green, misty mountains:) 

We've met with a lot of people in the last week, but it seems like no one really wants to do anything about the message we share with them. It's just been one of those weeks. But I have hope that this week will be different! Also, I don't know if I've said this before, but missionary work is EXHAUSTING with a capital E. 

Among that bleakness, there were a few streaks of success and lots of adventures. One cool thing was meeting Anne. She's Taiwanese, but she spent 8 years in no other place but~~Seattle, WA!! That was pretty awesome. She went to Seattle University where she learned a lot about the Catholic church. She was reciting historical facts throughout most of the lesson we had with her which was both distracting and relieving. It was nice teaching someone with a Christian background. She says she really wants to read the Book of Mormon.

Even though this last week wasn't all that I hoped it would be, I'm still so glad to be a missionary and I'm glad to be where I am. The members here are so quirky but they're awesome and my companion is a ray of sunshine as long as his blood sugar isn't out of whack. Love you all! The church is true!!

-Elder Smith

Today's song was recorded early in the morning so my voice cracks quite a bit. Forgive me :( 




We met a google maps guy. He didn't have a whole lot of interest(he had just hiked up a mountain), but he talked with us a for a bit. So yeah, look at the street view at Shou Tiangong temple in Mingjian in a couple years and you may just see me! ​Always an adventure in Mingjian!


Adventures in Taizhong on P-Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment