Friday, February 14, 2014

Week Twenty-Four: Interviews and a Knife Fight

Dear Family and Friends,

I am alive and well! I don't have a lot of time this week since I got a few more emails than usual this week(thank you, friends! It's great to hear from you) but I've got 2 things to share. 

First, we had interviews this last week with President Blickenstaff. He's so wise it's ridiculous. I asked him what one principle or skill I can focus on to make faster progress towards becoming a Preach My Gospel missionary. He quoted a conference talk by the recently released General Relief Society President. He said the most important we can do is learn how to seek for, recognize, and act on Spiritual promptings. I thought that was so wise so I'm stoked to start working on that. It's definitely not going to be an overnight thing, but hopefully God will see my effort and bless me with that gift. But yeah. Interviews are awesome!

Also, we went to a driving range last week. I'm basically a professional golfer now.
Second, we got in contact with John again and he bought me an Ukulele!! woohoo! I've always wanted one of those. It's plain white so I'm probably going to have a fun time decorating it. We also taught him the word of wisdom and even though he had done basically everything on the don't list, he said the main problems were going to be smoking and tea and that he'd be able to give those up by next week so he can be baptized on the 22nd of February. So cool! I'm so glad we get to teach him. Oh! Also golden Chen got his schedule and he might be able to be baptized on the 1st of March. He said he can definitely go to church for the full time on the 23rd of February. Super good. I'm stoked to see that. Then, after his baptism, he'll probably just have to find sacrament meetings to go to where he goes for business on the weekends. He'll probably only be able to come to our ward like once a month. 

Also, I just realized I've been eating a lot of weir foods lately and not telling you guys about any of them. So here it goes...fatty meat(like 90% fat 10%meat), pig retina, chicken heart, smashed up fish eggs, chicken feet(I actually only ate a toe, but still). That's all I can think up right off the bat, but it was all pretty good except the fish eggs. Those basically just tasted like fish food smells and it was really sticky so it lingered for ages. It was supposedly really expensive, though, so I acted like it was super delicious:). 

But yeah, that's just about it. 

Love you all! 

-Elder Brendan Smith  

*******************

Brendan's Mom here: Brendan put the phrase "knife fight" in the title, then didn't mention it in his letter.  Not exactly reassuring to a mother's heart.  So we exchanged the following messages:
Mom:  What?  You can't just drop a "knife fight" and expect people to not be curious. :)
Brendan:  yeah, well, it wasn't really that big of a deal. I don't have a lot of time, but I might write about it next week.
Mom:  Okay.  I assume all your limbs and digits are still attached? :)
Brendan:  Yeah, I'm fine. Are you really not that worried about it or are you just trying to put on a brave face?
Mom:  I figure if it were really serious, you would find the time to write about it. :)  So I'm not worried--just teasing you and wasting your precious letter-writing time haha.
Brendan:  ok cool. don't worry about wasting my letter-writing time. I use my letter-writing time to you write you and Dad and friends if time. Not the other way around. 
Mom:  Glad you prioritize writing the people who gave you life. :)  Love you, buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment